No Picture available

St George's Anglican Church

The Anglican Church was constructed during the summer of 1935, funded partially by the Cariboo Gold Quartz Company.

This church was built to overlook the town and give it an aura of permanence and stability28. Dr Burnett, Mr Solibakke, Fred Wells and Mr Rose all donated $50 to start the Anglican Church Building Fund. The two lots on the top of the town - The Rev. Stan Higg's choice when he first saw the undeveloped Townsite - where purchased to build the church on.

In 1934 Stan Higgs' older brother Norman Higgs died in England and all his friends, including a school mate by the name of Charlie Edkins, who lived in Wells, decided that a stained glass window, in Norman's memory, would be appropriate for the new church his younger brother was building in Wells. They all joined in and a very beautiful round stained glass window arrived for the East wall over the Altar. These windows have since been donated to the United Church, in Wells29.

Home IconReturn to Tour